Sunday, November 30, 2008

What’s in a Trend?

(old post)

I’m noticing a lot of “trends” in graphics, art and crafts lately, and quite frankly, I don’t “get” most of them. For example, lately everywhere I look on the web, I see cupcakes. There are bakeries that make ONLY cupcakes. There are blogs devoted to… CUPCAKES. (and the blog in that link has a list of links to 30 other blogs about… CUPCAKES). Here's an image from hello_naomi’s flickr photostream, one of many photostreams that include pics of cupcakes.

I opened the most recent copy of Cloth, Paper, Scissors magazine and there are two different projects for making mixed media cupcakes. You want to make it out of papier-mache? Yarn? Oh, and you can buy cupcake jewelry and doo-dads on Etsy. You can knit (or crochet) a cute little cupcake hat for your baby.

Now, there are a lot of precious “crafty” blogs and websites out there, written by people who have read every craft article Martha Stewart ever wrote and have taken them to the next level. There are people making a living in the extreme “crafty” community, just writing about cozy crafty things you can do to make your house look like a “shabby chic” haven…And I don’t get it. Now, I like “cozy” as much as the next girl; for crying out loud, look at the image in the header for this blog. I don’t mean to bash anybody’s scene, but I just don’t get cupcakes.

Maybe a large proportion of the female population really wishes that they could be June Cleaver. Maybe it’s a reaction to the post-Reagan/Bush years in the US, to the images of the current war, the news of the gas prices and the mortgage crisis. I don’t know what it is, but everywhere I look I’m reminded of rectangular Tupperware containers being carried onto schoolbuses, smooshed icing, and sticky fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by for a chat!