Sunday, May 10, 2009

Why I Wait for Rainy Days

You may think I'm crazy, and normally I'd agree, but it's been painfully dry this spring. I need it to rain so I can use one of my latest sewing projects:


I couldn't afford oilcloth, so I bought a dollar store plastic tablecloth for the red checkered fabric in this bag. Unfortunately, it's not sturdy enough to withstand daily wear and tear, so when I have some money to spend on fabric, I'm going to buy some red checkered oilcloth and redo this bag. The lining is a vintage table cloth that *someone* has spilled various things on over the years, most recently blue candle wax. I figured I could re-purpose it to make a nice, cheery commuter bag for rainy days.

Of course, since "the only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize"*, I had to make other little pieces to go with this:


Lunch bag (lined with plastic tablecloth in case of spills, shoe bag (ditto, to protect the vintage cloth from mud), and zippered bag for pills, etc. I can wear my wellies, and change into my dry shoes at work. And my umbrella fits nicely into this bag as well.

*Thank you, "Steel Magnolias," for one of the best "fashion statements" ever.

2 comments:

  1. I love the lined lunch bag/shoe bag idea. That is exactly the way to get through a normal Ithaca spring.

    Not that this year is normal. More than a teaspoon of rain could be really nice right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Justin. Yeah, it's been incredibly dry. :-(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a chat!