Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Nancy Bites the Bullet - Vintage Sewing Patterns Enroute

Ok, so I went to the fabric store just to get some lightweight interfacing for the shirts I'm working on for my boy.... and this garnet red 95% rayon/5% spandex fabric that was 60% off JUMPED into my cart. What could I do? I had to bring it home. And now that I've given it a home, what will I do with it? (Can I keep it, Mom? I promise to feed it and take it for walks!)

Well, for starters, I'm going to make this blouse. I just bought the pattern from Eva Dress. To get more bang for my buck, I'm going to make separates instead of a dress. I've got a "trumpet skirt" (a skirt with godets) that I'm going to copy and make up in this rayon as well. Every 40-something woman should have a bitchin' red dress, don't you think?


The other pattern I bought was for a "house coat and dress" from the 1940's.

I'm imagining several variations on the short version of this, and just yesterday I found a bunch of awesome "retro" fabric. Here's a cute print from eQuilter.com. Picture it with red rick-rack!



And here are some more choices from Hancock's of Paducah:




So many choices, so little $$$!

2 comments:

  1. Those teapots are to DIE for. I may have to go hunting for that fabric. My hubby is a brit and we have tea every morning...and the occasional dress-up afternoon tea just for fun. That would make a great housecoat/dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Amelina - I adore these teapots too. My husband and I are potters, so I think I need to have at least ONE dress with dishes on it, if not several...the ironic thing is that we don't actually make teapots in our studio (yet).

    I can't decide what I'm going to use this fabric for...I haven't even bought any yet! Half the fun is matching the perfect fabric to the perfect pattern, as you know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a chat!