Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Another Decision to Make

Well, my vintage patterns arrived today. I haven't checked yet to make sure I have all the pieces, and they're so fragile that I'm going to have to copy them onto heavier paper before I use them, so it'll be a while before that lovely 50's dress gets underway. That's ok, because I need to hone my sewing skills some more anyway. I have some other projects I can work on that will help with that.

My local JoAnn's was having a 99 cent sale on Butterick patterns last week, so I stocked up on some. One of them is this adorable dress with a peter pan collar (below). You really helped me with the fabric choices for the 50's mail order pattern. Here's what I'm thinking about for this Butterick, and I'd love some input here too, if you don't mind! ;-)


I'm thinking I'll do the short version with the puffy sleeves in this fabric:

And maybe the longer version with the cap sleeves in this:

What I'm trying to decide is, do I make the collars on these in a solid cream color? And if I do that, do I make a matching cream belt? I've been looking at peter pan collar dresses and blouses, trying to get a feel for how it would look either way. I'm 45, and while I'm somewhat youthful, I don't want to look too much like a little girl dressed for Sunday School. I could have carried that off in my 20's and even early 30's, but I don't think I can now. What are your experiences with this style?

Also, I've never made a belt before, got no idea how you reinforce the holes; or do you just get a "slide" buckle without a tooth?

I am also definitely going to use this pattern as the starting point for a blouse, possibly with a fitted flare or a full-on peplum, in some kind of "interesting neutral." I don't want it to be a plain solid, so I was thinking of something like this:


Hey, what if I used this subtle dot fabric for the contrasting collars on the other dresses, and made one belt to go with them all? Or is that too much? Whaddaya think?

Thanks for your ideas!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I can see view b in the second fabric with the self for the collar and the dotted fabric for a wide belt. I like that first fabric, but I keep looking between the fabric and the pattern and worrying that the pairing will look too mumsy or even little girl at pinic-ey. The second fabric has some moxy to it and would lift the whole garment. Hope this doesn't confuse you more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, now that you say it, I can see what you mean about the first fabric possibly looking too "mumsy." Thanks for pointing that out! For me half the fun is going through this process, so I don't mind a little confusion! ;-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pattern, Nancy! I use eyelets and a punch for most of my homemade belts, or you can buy self-cover belt kits which are easy to use. Or you could do what my grandma used to do and laboriously stitch around each punched hole about 20 times with a heavy thread! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Donna! I haven't found kits at my local fabric store, but I have to confess that I'm often there with family members who would rather be doing something else, so I haven't looked thoroughly; I didn't know such a thing existed! I'm on a mission now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a chat!