Thursday, August 13, 2009

Vive la Cloche!

I love hats. I don't own nearly enough. I love my Lisa Ventre hat, but it doesn't go with *every* outfit. I have a particular weakness for the hat shape known as the "cloche"( or "bell" in French). In fact, I'm growing my hair into a flapper-ish bob specifically to wear with cloche-ish hats!

I'm starting to look for cloche sewing patterns, and I'm thinking about learning how to make my own straw cloche. (Oh, great, says my hubby, a new obsession and a new hobby! Millinery!)

Here are some of the goodies I found by doing a google search for "straw + hat + cloche" today.

Click on each photo to see the website from which it came.

Here's an "original" from the 20's.



And here are some modern interpretations, plus some vintage versions. I love how much leeway there is in the definition of the shape.












This is the Lisa Ventre hat I *wish* I had:


And this is the one I got, but with the colorway reversed. Cute, but not quite as cloche-ish as I would like...


One can never have too many hats, too many shoes, or too much chocolate.

4 comments:

  1. I love those cloche hats too... :) I don't know if you already know, but there are cloche hat patterns for sale here: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=29153457

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Una! I hadn't found those yet. Hm, I sense a winter project or two in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait! A NEW hobby? cool!

    (wait, that wasn't in the script.)

    Go for it babe! Figure this all out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must be the luckiest woman in the world...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a chat!