Sunday, October 11, 2009

Birthday Presents

Today instead of being at the hospital or being in the studio, I slept. I slept from 11am when Mom and I came back from the hospital until 3:30, when Aurora came in and gave me a birthday present. I slept with both my kitties, since my baby Luna was back from the vet's. The bed was warm and my kitties were purring, and I knew that Sabra and my Mom would take good care of the shop during our open studio sale.

When Mom and I saw Alex in the morning, he started crying when he saw my face. We couldn't tell how "awake" he was, since there was still sedative in his system. We couldn't tell how much he could understand or remember of what we were saying. It was so hard to know what to do, what to try and tell him, what to ask him. It was awful. Leaving the hospital was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I was at my wit's end and I thought my stress would make his stress worse.

After my nap, I met Sabra and hung out in the studio with her and Mom. We sold some more pots. Yay! When we closed, Sabra headed back to Rochester, and Mom took me to Mary Ellen and Joe's for my birthday dinner. YUM. I am definitely getting spoiled when it comes to meals!

Mary Ellen brought me home, but first we stopped at the hospital. Alex was awake and more cogent than he had been in the morning. He was obviously trying to tell us something, and it wasn't about being in pain or needing to be repositioned. I asked him, "Are you trying to tell me that you love me?" And he smiled. HE SMILED!!!! That's when I knew how aware he was. He wanted to know what happened, so I gave him the brief recap of the last month, and told him that he's going to be perfectly fine. That seemed to ease his mind. I asked him if he knew what day tomorrow was; it's our anniversary. He was looking past me at the wedding photo I had put in his room. I asked him if he wanted me to bring our wedding album in tomorrow and his eyes lit up.

Now I ask you, what more could a woman want for her birthday?

21 comments:

  1. OH! You just made me all teary!! I am sooo happy for you....I know we don't know each other at all, but you have been in my thoughts so much lately. I admire your strength and patience thru this exhausting ordeal. I hope you have a great anniversary, and that Alex gets better and better with each passing day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dear Lady, I have never been to your blog before. But the sweet 'Mrs. Bee' told me of your sadness. I want to wish you a Happy Anniversary.

    And of course, wish that your husband will very soon, be all better. And that the long ordeal, which you both have been suffering with, will soon be a thing of the past.

    Gentle hugs,
    Aunt Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. And a belated Happy Birthday too!

    Gentle hugs,
    Aunt Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  4. here to wish you well on your birthday and pray for husband's recovery! Hang in there!
    (From Aunt Amelia's)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popping by to wish you a Many Happy Anniversaries in the future...May the next be so much more awesome than the present that you will look back and laugh! May every moment be precious and blessed.

    Praying that things get better.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came here through aunt amelia's blog and wanted to wish your husband a speedy recovery. I know how hard it can be waiting in the hospital. My husband, though not an illness but an accident, had some shaky ground and any good wishes and cheer really helped to lighten the day and make it feel better. He is now 100% (this was years ago) and I want to pass that same happy good feeling on to you. Here my virtual good wishes and my virtual coffee cake and casserole to share. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying prayers of healing for your dear husband.
    Blessings,
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy,

    I wanted to let you know that I was at my very good friend's blog, Aunt Amelia'a Attic and she told me about Alex and all you, he and your family has been going through for the last month. My heart goes out to you, so I am here to do anything I can.

    I wish you strength and I offer my prayers. I will also mention the situation on my blog today so that you can have a bit more support and prayer.

    Alex' eyes lighting up at the wedding photo brought tears to my eyes. Oh, if love alone could heal...

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sending you much love and well wishing even though you don't know me from Adam (Eve?)

    Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary and Get Well Soon for you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet birthday and anniversary present. Enjoy looking at those photos.

    Peace,

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry that your husband is so ill, but as I read from your blog posts...he is indeed making progress to a recovery. Great! Happy Anniversary to the two of you! What a place to share this happy day...but at least you can! And a very Happy Birthday to you too! Take care of yourself during this trying time...My prayers are with you both.

    Stay Cozy, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your blog. My heart goes out to you and your family. I hope that your husband is better soon, and my prayers go with you and your family. I have a soulmate in my Joe, and I can well imagine what you must be going through. My love to you and lots of hugs.
    Micki
    In Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found you through Sew Retro (loved your blue dress and 20s/30s style from previous posts). Much Grace and Blessings to you and your husband. As hard an this experience may be, the joy seeing him smile is a wonderful gift for you to get!! Happy Birthday and enjoy your Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very Happy Anniversary to you both! Here is hoping you have an extra special day and many more years enjoying each other!
    Remember to breathe..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so pleased to hear that your husband is improving. I pray that he continues to heal.

    Also, Happy Birthday!

    and Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Nancy, I've popped over via Mrs Bee and Aunt Amelia's attic. I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's illness - I wish him a full and speedy recovery and don't forget to take care of yourself too. I hope looking at your wedding album brings back cherished memories and gives you both great joy and hope for the future.

    Jeanne x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, on the birthday & anniversary, but mostly on hubby's recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats! I'm so happy that things are looking up. I hope you had a good visit for your anniversary. Take car, as always. lisa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, you all brought tears to my eyes with your kindness and prayers. Thank you so much. I can barely see the screen right now, I'm that teary-eyed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just found you as well, through Aunt Amelia's Attic. Best wishes for your husband's complete recovery - and take care of yourself, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Nancy,
    Reading your words above, brought tears to my eyes too.

    Sweet Mrs. Bee is the one who alerted me, to your sorrow.

    I'm sending a big cyber hug right now, to {{{{{{you}}}}}} and your {{{{{{husband}}}}}}. [And also to your Mom and the others, who are being so helpful to you, in this crisis]

    May you be strong through out this. And your love be even stronger, when he is all better and home again.

    Gentle hugs,
    Aunt Amelia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a chat!