Sunday, January 10, 2010

Service With a Smile

"What can I get you, Hon?"


I wrote a little while ago about the power cord and pedal being missing from the box for my new sewing machine. Tonight I was pleasantly surprised to be on the receiving end of some great customer service, resulting in my getting a pedal and cord so that I can start sewing!!

I explained my predicament to the woman working at the sewing machine place. Without any finger pointing, b!tchiness or grovelling on anyone's part, she gave me what I needed. The woman, Lillian, is probably in her early 70's. She was raised in a time when good customer service was expected, was part of the paradigm, and was taught to shop employees.

I used to work in retail, and I was often expected by my boss to give less excellent service than I felt comfortable with giving. Whenever I could, I tried to exceed the expectations of my customer, and contrary to my boss' beliefs, I did NOT give away the store in the process. It's rare that I see anyone who shares my approach. I've become accustomed to getting mediocre service at best whenever I go shopping.

Tonight was a sweet reminder of the way things used to be, the way they should be. Thank you, Lillian, for being a good example to retail employees and managers everywhere, and for making my day a whole lot brighter. It's nice to be pleasantly surprised, for a change.

2 comments:

  1. Really! Thanks for reminding to check on the whereabouts of the replacement coffeepot cord I bought on ebay, to replace the one I left in a hotel room that the housekeeping staff couldn't find...................

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Maryszka - Oh, losing the coffee pot cord is a terrible thing! Life without coffee isn't worth living!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a chat!