Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Vintage Sewing Notions

I have a confession to make. I think, in a previous life, that I must have been a crow or a raven. I love little colorful, shiny things. I love beads and buttons. I'm the kind of girl who brings home buttons and then designs a piece of clothing around them.

I've started looking for places to buy vintage buttons and notions, just in case the button box I inherited from my Grandma doesn't contain the exact right thing for whatever I'm working on. Here are some of my yummy finds:

Acme Notions: This site has lovely buttons, and a lot of vintage belt buckles and slides. I keep looking at the buckles, trying to imagine what dress(es) I could use them for...

Red Plastic Buckle, for up to 1-1/8" belting. $2.95


Carved Mother of Pearl Buckle, for up to 1-3/4" belting. $5.50


Accessories of Old: A regular department store for vintage accessories of all kinds, including hair clips, beads, jewelry, buckles, marcasite, shoe buckles, buttons... the list goes on. Here are some goodies from this shop:

Vintage Hair Clip with original packaging. $9.95



Casein Button selection.


Blue House Buttons sells ONLY antique buttons, in any material imaginable, even Goodyear Rubber! (below)



Now, I ask you, how much cuter could these buttons from The Button Bug be? Can't you just imagine them on a sweater for a little niece or nephew?




Prices range from $3.00 for the yellow bird to $4.50 for the red dog.


If Japanese satsuma buttons are your style, be sure to check out the collection at Mildred's Antiques. Prices range anywhere from $15.00 to $60.00, depending upon age and provenance.







The Button Bower
has beautiful collector-quality buttons, including this Czech glass button:




I could list more, but you can just go check my bookmarks!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the fabulous links! I could spend a scary amount of money at Accessories of Old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Gertie! I know what you mean about Accessories of Old... it's a gold mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love accessories too and have tons of buttons!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a chat!