Saturday, February 13, 2010

More Thoughts About Sewing, Organization, and Body Image

I have heroines in the vintage sewing circles. Great, gutsy gals who sew their hearts out, and who call a spade a spade. In my quest for sanity, I've taken their words to heart. They have inspired me, and I'm going to jump on this wave of inspiration and optimism and ride it out.

Miss Amelina wrote on her blog a little while ago about Sewing With a Plan, talking about her changing shape, her wardrobe, and feeling "like a Frumpasaurus." It struck home in a big way, and I started to think about feeling overwhelmed and how that ties into my body image and my state of chaos.

Gertie's blog is devoted not only to the active pursuit of completing all the projects from a vintage Vogue book, but also to the discussion of body image, especially as it pertains to fashion history. She just had a wonderful post about "'Fessing Up: Taking Accurate Measurements," because as many of us gals know, we sometimes sew things in the size we WISH we were and then cram ourselves into a too-small dress...(oh, heavens, no, I've never done that...)

For me, my "Sewing for Victory" campaign means not just attempting to conquer the chaos in my studio and my mind; it's also about slowing down and accepting that my shape has changed, that there are some styles that just aren't going to work with this body, and that I need to learn how to be patient and tailor things to fit me better. Just following the pattern isn't going to cut it. It never has, and it's about time I learned to do certain alterations. Otherwise, I'm wasting beautiful fabric, making a garment that doesn't look much better than something I bought off the rack.

There's a movement called "Slow Living," the basic premise of which is to (surprise) slow down and live a more mindful life, paying closer attention to the moment and to one's body. Yep, sounds good to me. A little mindfulness and tranquility will suit me just fine.

So this weekend, I'm starting with taking "before" pictures of my studio, so I'll be able to see how far I've come. One moment at a time...

7 comments:

  1. Haha! Sounds like many of us are on the same track, doesn't it? Kind of exciting, really. :) I am looking forward to this season's sewing adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are following a good philosphy of life.
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, ladies! Who was it that said, "Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."? Here we go...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I know what you mean. I always suck in my gut when taking measurements. Seems like slowing down shouldn't be that hard, but I know it really is. Can't wait to watch your progress. Glad you are taking the lead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement, Anna. It's funny how complicated it can be to simplify your life, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post - I just popped over to Miss Amelina's blog, and was hooked at the first sentence. I already follow Gerti (even though my sewing skills are less than stellar right now), and Slow Living is something I've been working toward too - just didn't know it had a name. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kristen! Glad I could introduce you to Miss Amelina. She's the bees knees!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a chat!