Monday, August 2, 2010

I can't sleep

Last night it was Alex, tonight I can't sleep.  Trying to meditate, etc. to get myself back to sleep but to no avail.  Instead I've ended up with a new poem about my grandmother.  Go figure.

Family Photo

Adsette Wilcox was a hellraiser
In her day
Aw hell I don’t even know how to spell it
Adsit Adsette
I’ve only ever seen it written on her funeral program
When I was seven
Cigarette smoke wiggle dress and girdle
That’s what I remember
Not this sullen flapper forced to pose with her mother

I’ve got her hair



.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you couldn't find sleep last night. Though if one has to lose precious sleep, this poem is not a bad exchange. I love your imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your not sleeping. The poem is just lovely!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem is a wonderful tribute! I love a goodhearted hellraiser.
    Wishing you a wonderful day..and a good nights sleep:0)
    Lynea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't sleep EITHER. Maybe I'll try poetry writing next time! Fantastic poem, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, ladies (and Alex)! I haven't been inspired to write any poetry for YEARS, so this one was a surprise.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a chat!