Monday, September 27, 2010

And.....We're Back!

So what have I been doing all month, anyway?

After a month spent resting AND helping hubby with the start of his new photography business, (see sidebar for links to his photo blog and website), I'm back and ready to think about sewing again. I bought myself a reprieve (literally) from sewing shirts for the hubby by catching some amazing sales, but now I have to get back to work. Since we're at the edge of hockey season, I'll only be able to sew every-other weekend if I'm lucky. The boy needs things to wear other than clay-covered t-shirts and sweatpants. So his shirts and everything else on my to-do list are still waiting for me, and more things have been added...

I couldn't pass up this 2-piece dress pattern from 1948.  It was $5.00, bust size 37.  I don't think the seller carries sewing patterns regularly, or he would have known to charge more!! I'm going to need to make this bigger in order to fit me, so I've got some learning to do.
 

I know the next two patterns aren't really "vintage" but I wanted some EASY, relatively mindless dress patterns for next spring. These were a wicked bargain as well.  Yay, me!


And the short version of this dress, with short sleeves, is almost a war-time aesthetic...

 
I've promised myself that I'm not going to look at any more patterns or fabric until I've gotten more of my existing sewing projects done. Sigh. I don't know why I'm whining; I have probably 20 projects waiting, and most of them are for me!

I also spent some time shopping for some organizational tools to help us conquer our clutter.  I was hoping to pull together a humungous yard sale, but I think I'm running out of time for that now.  The rains of autumn have begun. So I'll spend the winter trying to organize all the stuff we want to get rid of... and the stuff we want to keep.

I found some great big jars to use in our pantry:


and 3 wire baskets to corral our hats and mittens:


and a metal picnic basket to hold the pet care supplies:



I pride myself on having shopped for the best possible deals on these things; it was more fun than just buying the first thing I saw.  I love etsy!!

My hockey knitting for this season will be a sweater for which I got the pattern and yarn over a year ago. Picture this in a soft coral-peach color, with a straight cream or natural linen skirt and my cream and linen oxfords!
.
I've never knitted a sweater or used a pattern, so luckily I have fellow hockey moms who are willing to coach me. Hurray for knitting coaches! I'm a lucky girl.

October, my favorite month, is almost here, hockey pre-season is in gear, and I'm ready to hunker down and get busy!  Let the autumn begin!


3 comments:

  1. That Simplicity pattern is really nice and a good price too!
    Soft coral peach sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!!! great patterns! I wish I had a knitting coach ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! It's good to be back. I'm looking forward to being back behind the sewing machine, and the computer.

    @ the Baroness - I know, I feel so lucky! Unfortunately, I just found out that my main "coach" BROKE HER LEG and won't be driving her little hockey player around for a while, so I may not get help from her right away... yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a chat!